Forget Theme Parks...

 


                So, I decided to take an exploratory drive away from Orlando and see what I could I find and what adventure I could get into during my travels. I came across this beautiful little fort right in the middle of nowhere about 45 minute drive from downtown Orlando. This fort date backs to the early pioneer days of Florida late 19th century and early 20th century. Upon first glance I thought I was lost and sure felt like it. I mean I think I heard the banjos playing in the distance and saw some creepy kid in the woods, but my curiosity did get the best of me, so I continued forward. 

             The drive started on Colonial Dr (SR50) East towards Cape Canaveral. Though there was a lot of traffic, which is unusual for a Saturday, especially in the winter, but once you pass Alafaya trail the traffic gets lighter. I continued East on SR50 where the highway turns into a rural country road full of country stores and farms. It was actually a nice drive. The windows down, the wind blowing in your face and the smell of country air. I could not believe it and it is in Orlando. 

                I read about this place, but wasn't sure where it was, but it does have the name of the holiday we all love...Christmas. Yes, Christmas, Florida. Once I arrived at Ft. Christmas Rd I turned left into even more country while noticing the large decorated Christmas tree on the corner. I still had my window down and the country air was even more amazing, so glad I found this place. Before I arrived I thought about how much I was going to pay for entrance fee, so yeah that was on my mind also. I wanted to show you free attractions or at least low cost that will not break the bank. So when I finally arrived at Ft. Christmas I was relieved to know that parking was free and entrance was free. Yes, free. That was a huge relief and settled my mind and of course a generous donation helps keep this attraction free. 


                I started at the old school house and worked my way around the village reading every plaque that I could to learn about the history of each home and school house I visited. I was thinking to myself while walking inside of the school, "I could never imagine being inside these old wooden classrooms in the middle of a Florida summer with no A/C." We really have it easy now. The old school house has old wooden floors, walls, and the early 20th century decor and architecture still appearing, as if it was just constructed, as I could still smell the wood bringing back many great memories. 


                I went to the next building I could see and it was an old pioneer home. The best way to describe it was like the home on the old TV show "Little House on the Prairie". It was quite small and the building and interior were preserved, enough such that I was able to go inside and explore. The inside had its wonderful country charm and the decor was on point. Felt like sitting down by the fireplace with a nice hot cocoa and do nothing but just lounge, but doing nothing in the early 20th century meant you did not eat. So I continued the self guided tour of the farmhouse and was pleasantly surprised by all the detail inside of the home. 


                The self guided tour is only open from 8-4 Sat-Sun and 8-6 Mon-Fri. Ft. Christmas is a beautiful part of Florida history and recommend for anyone visiting Orlando area attractions. You should make this stop on your Florida to-do list. Also, before I forget, there are pavilions with grills and picnic tables with a beautiful small lake. Also did I mention it is FREE? Don't forget to say hi to the resident chickens and make a donation to keep this attraction free.  



 





 


Comments

  1. Wow, m8 thanks again for sharing this about Orlando.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be there with my family in April. My wife is an American history buff. She will love it. Its free so it won’t break the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed in how you described this magic little history remain! This place is amazing! You described every feeling you can have there. I am #1 fan of this Fort. Every person that comes from outside to visit me knows this is an obligated visit. All of them fall in love with this wonderful place. Me an my family are actually planning to visit it again in about two weeks, to spend a little bit of quality and relaxing time. We will bring food and will enjoy a nice time under the trees shadows. And yes, it is FREE! It is also a really nice place for kids. You see them all around enjoying so much. Here you can relax, have fun, and learn a little bit of our history. I recommend it 100%. Thank you for sharing this! It has been amazing to read your experience. ❤️❤️❤️🔥🔥🔥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was very good. Thank you for giving me info on this cool place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Calling 911 is a Joke?

Discover a Hidden Orlando

Taxi or Rideshare?